Ok – so you’re a business owner or an executive trying to make sense of how to market your business. Every month it feels like there is a new fancy way to call the latest marketing trend. Target and segmented marketing is the way to go. Oh, wait. Now it’s engagement marketing.
It’s enough to make anyone’s head spin.
But this is a blog on how to make sense of marketing today. So I’m going to share with you a little secret. It’s neither target and segmented marketing or engagement marketing. It’s about balancing out how to have a targeted, segmented, and engaged marketing strategy.
Here are the 5 targeted, segmented, and engaged things you should do monthly to enhance your marketing:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – It’s more than just about keywords. It’s about the right keywords people use to find the things you sell. It’s also about having great stuff for your customers to read (content.) Then it’s matching the keywords people use to find your content through your meta tags and page descriptions. Oh – and constantly add new content. (See blogs below).
- Social media – So you have a Facebook page. So what? So do 42 million other companies as of December 31, 2011; that’s just companies with 10 likes or more. What do people want to talk about through social media? Here is another secret – the answer is themselves. Royal Caribbean last year ran a campaign about “come to Facebook.com/RoyalCaribbean and tell us about your favorite vacation.” They used an engagement strategy to get people to talk about themselves on their Facebook page – which ironically – 95% of the comments were about sailing on a Royal Caribbean cruise. So not only did you give a platform for people to talk about themselves, you gave them a chance to demonstrate the attachment they have to your service offering. Oh, and you just gave your SEO a big boost.
- Offers and discounts – JC Penny recently got rid of coupons. The CEO thought no haggle prices was what consumers wanted. Turns out it wasn’t. 1st quarter profits are down, according to our client, Tolero Solutions. People want to feel like they’re getting a deal. People want to see their price slashed so they feel like they maximized their money. So run specials and discounts. Make sure those specials and discounts end; otherwise, it’s not a special or a discount. Make it something different every week or month, depending on your business. Make the discount match the time of year. People tend to flock to things they can attach or relate to.
- Email marketing – Send emails reminding them of the specials and discounts or of new offerings. The most common response to declining email trends is to send more emails. The best option to correct low open and click rates is the exact opposite – send less emails. Obviously people are losing interest in that topic. So why not give them something else to get re-engaged with you? New offering or new discount.
- Blogging – see #1. Blogging is the easiest way to get fresh, new content to your site. Social + blogging = Improved SEO. You can check out this blog here about how to blog.
So as you see – it’s not necessarily one strategy or another. Technically SEO practices are targeted, segmented, and engaging. You are targeting your keywords people use, segmenting them onto pages within your site, and then creating engaging content.
So the next time you hear a fancy new way to market – remember it probably just means to tweak your current strategy, not start from scratch. Contact us today to learn more about how your marketing can be improved. We’ll also give anyone who mentions this blog a 15% discount on total contract amount through June 30th, 2012.